Hampshire businesses among the best
Thursday November 21st, 2019
BDO has recently published their ‘top 20 performing companies in Central South’ report, with over half of the businesses being from Hampshire.
Each year BDO identify top performing companies from the Central South mid-market population (£10-300M turnover) using a calculation that measures one and three year growth in both operating profit and turnover. This year’s report identifies them based on international growth, sector – including technology and manufacturing – and the top performers from private equity backed businesses.
Hampshire is home to over 86,000 businesses and has an economic output totalling £50bn – making it one of the most successful economies in the UK and the largest sub-regional economy in the South East of England.
Out of the twenty companies in this report, eleven of them have roots in Hampshire:
- Ahmad Tea (UK) – A family business, drawing on four generations of tea blending and tasting experience.
- Fatface – A clothing company that reflects happy and healthy lifestyles.
- Chinatool UK – A company that focuses on delivering the very best automotive products.
- Clearvision CM – A multi-award winning software services company, dedicated to empowering teams to reach their full potential.
- Just Develop IT – An investment company.
- Lewmar – Premier marine equipment supplier, designing, manufacturing and distributing innovative and high-quality control solutions worldwide.
- Siva Holdings – A major producer of flexible polyethylene packaging.
- Stannah Lifts Holdings – A business who design, manufacture and sell stairlifts in over 40 countries worldwide.
- Symetrica – A global leader in radiation detection and identification, providing real world solutions for real world challenges.
- Vitacress – One of Europe’s leading suppliers of fresh produce, specialising in watercress, salads and fresh herbs.
- Wiggle – Leading European online sports retailer, selling cycle, run, swim and outdoor equipment and apparel.
Arbinder Chatwal, BDO partner, said: “Our Central South campaign continues to gain momentum and showcases real, tangible success in our region. The mid-market is the engine room for growth in the UK – increasing turnover, employment and trade overseas.”
The annual analysis of business activity and performance is now in its fifth year. Nearly 50% of these companies operating internationally are new to the 2019 listing, demonstrating that more businesses have developed successful strategies for exporting and selling services to the global market. Despite the uncertainty, in the last three years the mid-market in the region overall has still achieved 25% growth in turnover and an increase in profits of 18%.
BDO will present all the top 20 international companies with a special plaque to celebrate their achievements, and they will be shortlisted along with other top performers in the coming months for the BDO Central South Mid Market Company of the Year, to be announced in autumn 2020.