Whitehill and Bordon Town Regeneration, East Hampshire
Whitehill and Bordon is undergoing an incredible transformation from a garrison town into a green, healthy and connected town. Thanks to £1billion of investment and superb partnerships, the land the Army left behind is going to be the heart of a new community with jobs, homes, skills, schools, a stunning green environment, state-of-the-art technology and everything that a 21st Century town could possibly want.
The town is located within an hour’s drive from London and is situated 16 miles to the south of Farnborough and within a half hour drive from Guildford. The town is also adjacent to the South Downs National Park, which stretches from Winchester to Eastbourne. After more than 100 years as a ‘garrison town’, the Army left its base on Prince Philip Barracks and the Technical Training Area in December 2015 and moved to a new base at Lyneham in Wiltshire. This freed up more than 100 hectares, presenting a unique ‘once in a generation’ opportunity to transform the town from ‘garrison town to green, healthy and connected town’ by 2036.
This is a complex, £1bn, multi-partner, 15-year collaborative and transformational place-making programme which seeks to provide up to 3,350 new homes and 5,500 new jobs, as well as new schools, a new road, new facilities and green space. The site is divided into six main parts:
- Community Employment Hub (Quebec Park) – The Radian Group are providing high quality office space in beautifully refurbished old buildings, in approximately 8,000 sqm of floor space near to the town centre. The overall space can either be subdivided for several smaller companies, can be provided for an entire floorplate, or leased to a single company for the entire building. If subdivided, office suites can provide between 186 to 230 sqm. Situated in a village green setting with pine walks a new housing development of 100 homes.
Vail Williams are the appointed marketing agent. T: 023 9220 320
- Whitehill & Bordon new town centre (formerly Prince Philip Barracks) – situated at the junction of the High Street and Budds Lane in Bordon, a new town centre comprising a leisure centre, 6 screen cinema, circa 70,000 sqft of retail and restaurants, a business work hub and circa 30,000 sqft of offices is planned. Construction work commenced early 2019 with the town centre set to start to open in the following years.
- Whitehill and Bordon Enterprise Park, (formerly Prince Philip Barracks) – contains a number of buildings and recreational facilities and offers interim lettings for up to 7 various warehouse units ranging from 3,000 – 280,000 sq ft. Secure site and short term flexible leases with limited repairing liabilities to suit a variety of uses, subject to Planning. Tenant incentives are also available. Rents will be offered on an all-inclusive basis and subject to the specification of the building. Meeting rooms and offices. An on-site manager. Ample parking and 24/7 security. The site is situated on the B3002, Budds Lane, off the A325 which in turn runs into the A3 in the south and the A31 in the north. The estate is accessed via a security gate house and sits behind a fully secured perimeter fence. A Tesco Supermarket is within easy access as are a range of local shopping facilities and other local amenities. Outline planning permission was approved in 2015 (Application 55587/001). The Whitehill and Bordon Regeneration Company have a Masterplan and will apply for detailed reserved matters planning permission from 2018 for the new town centre and supporting development.
- Enterprise Zone – Bordon – The site provides circa 2.9ha of office and industrial space and is part of the EZ3 London & South Innovation Valley, a multi-site Enterprise Zone. The Enterprise Zone status will allow occupiers to benefit from up to £275,000 in business rates relief over a five year period plus other incentives.
- A new Innovation Centre and separate Future Skills Centre (providing construction skills training) has already opened within the Enterprise Zone. The remaining land has been divided into a number of serviced platforms ready for development of units between 1,000-2,500sqm, although plot sizes are flexible to accommodate larger units. A design brief has also been agreed with the local planning authority to provide greater certainty in achieving reserved matters planning consent. Jones Lang LaSalle are the marketing agents for the serviced plots.
- Launched as BASE Bordon Innovation Centre, and run by the UK’s leading Innovation Centre operator, Oxford Innovation, the Centre provides a variety of flexible working and support options for ambitious, early-stage businesses. Reinvented for a new generation of entrepreneurs, the historic Broxhead House, formerly the Sergeants Mess for Louisburg Barracks, has been sympathetically restored and equipped with everything a start-up or growing business needs to excel.
> Private, Virtual and Coworking Office Space
> Meeting and Conference Facilities
> Specialist Advice and support for new businesses.
- TechForest– The landowner is Homes England and is located at the gateway to the town and accessed by the new relief road. The site has the capacity to deliver over 15,000 sqm of commercial floorspace. Homes England, as landowner, are developing this new business space, which is the gateway to the town and accessed by the new relief road. TechForest forms part of the Enterprise Zone and wider Louisburg Barracks site which has the first of the 500 new high quality homes already occupied.
Mixed use development for residential, community, leisure, retail and employment uses (offices, R&D, light industrial, general industrial). No storage and distribution uses are to come forward as part of this development.
Whitehill and Bordon is located within an hour’s drive from London and is situated 16 miles to the south of Farnborough and within a half hour drive from Guildford. The town is also adjacent to the South Downs National Park, which stretches from Winchester to Eastbourne.
- Quebec Park – detailed planning permission granted on 3rd February 2015 (Application Number: 28353/004).
- Louisburg Barracks – outline planning permission and detailed permission for phase 1 of the new relief road approved on 26th November 2014 (Application Number: 55369/001). Reserve matters consent is now in place for the residential land (Application Number: 55369/005). Reserve matters consent is also in place for the employment land infrastructure works (Application Number: 55369/008).
- Main Garrison Site – outline planning permission approved on 23rd April 2015 (Application Number: 55587/001). Provision for Sustainable, Alternative, Natural Green Space (SANGS) at Hogmoor Inclosure and Bordon Inclosure has been approved as part of this.
- Viking Park – Outline planning permission granted (Application Number: 34144/OUT).
Plot size & estimated employment floor space provision:
Whitehill and Bordon is 300 ha in size, providing approximately 70 ha of developable land.
(Below information shows a breakdown of plot size and available floor space provision at Whitehill and Bordon)
Quebec Park: (100 residential units)
Plot Size (ha) – 3.3
Plot size (acres) – 8.1
Quebec Park – Community Enterprise Hub:
Floor space (sq. ft.) – 16,145
Floor space (sq. m) – 1,500
Louisberg Barracks – (HE owned):
Plot size (ha) – 19.4
Plot size (acres) – 47.9
Louisberg Barracks – (HE owned) – Enterprise Zone (Office, R&D, light industrial and training uses):
Plot size (ha) – 2.9
Plot size (acres) – 7.3
Floor space (sq. ft.) – 164,559
Floor space (sq. m) – 15,288
Louisberg Barracks – (HE owned) – 500 residential units:
Plot size (ha) – 13.1
Plot size (acres) – 32.3
Louisberg Barracks – (HE owned) – Public open space:
Plot size (ha) – 3.4
Plot size (acres) – 8.4
Prince Philip Barracks: (2,400 residential units)
** Residential units (Offices, cafes, restaurants, care/nursing home, a transport interchange, food store, swimming pool, secondary and primary schools with sports facilities, sports pavilion. Additional public open space, including allotments, children’s play areas, landscaping buffer areas, and SUDs.)
Plot size (ha) – 6.0
Plot size (acres) – 14.8
Floor space (sq. ft.) – 322,830
Floor space (sq. m) – 30,000
Ring-fenced for interim employment uses; office, R&D, light industrial and general industrial uses proper to housing being developed.
** Residential units to be developed in the longer term (5-15years)
Plot size (ha) – 36
Plot size (acres) – 89.0
Floor space (sq. ft.) – 775,002
Floor space (sq. m) – 72,000
Additional Land adjacent to Louisberg Barracks:
Enterprise Zone: Office, R&D, light industrial and general industrial uses.
Plot size (ha) – 4.9
Plot size (acres) – 12.1
Floor space (sq. ft.) – 107,642
Floor space (sq. m) – 10,000
- Quebec Park – Homes England/Radian
- Louisburg Barracks – Homes England and DIO
- Main Garrison Site – DIO/TWD
- Viking Park – Viking Property Holdings Limited
- Quebec Park – Radian
- Louisburg Barracks – Barratt David Wilson Homes.
- Main Garrison Site – Joint Venture between Taylor Wimpey and Dorchester Group (Whitehill & Bordon Regeneration Company Ltd)
- To enquire and arrange a viewing please call 01420 550980